Sunday 28 January 2024

365 official

I have known for a while that I was getting close to the official menopause marker. I stopped having regular periods at age 39 (five years ago, about a year after Dani’s birth). Not that I was ever particularly regular. After several months of no periods, hot flashes, bad sleep, etc, I saw my doctor who confirmed what was going on with blood tests. So since then I have been telling people I am in menopause but I would still (annoyingly) occasionally have something resembling a period. It was always very light, barely more than spotting.

But today I checked my fertility app (tucked away in the “extras” folder of my phone LOL) and behold!



I’m officially past the 365 day mark! Definitely in menopause!

I feel extremely lucky, so far. I hear so many horror stories from women my age or a little bit older, of constant heavy bleeding, pain, and other awful things. Whereas my fertility gracefully exited stage left after the second child.

I had an ultrasound not long ago that showed no problems anywhere, only a small calcified fibroid. A couple of years ago I saw a pelvic floor physiotherapist for a while. I have occasional hot flashes still. But none of this is an overly serious problem, and I can adapt with small lifestyle changes (i.e. dress in layers)

Nothing about the future is guaranteed, but for now I’m very happy with where my life is at. I love my children and that I had the opportunity to have babies. I also love that now all the energy that was going into fertility can now go into something else. That’s the way I think about it: it’s time to prioritize different things in life. 

No comments:

Post a Comment