Saturday 15 April 2023

Visual journaling 1a

As a follow up to my entry on my sketchbook, here is some of the art I created on our recent family vacation

(Edit: I have no idea why the pictures frequently disappear from this particular post.)

Marshmallow roast, semi-realist. It was chilly at the cabin but we were able to have two fires and we ate an entire bag of marshmallows in one evening.



Marshmallow roast again, abstract. I really like this one. The words that weave through the fire are what the kids told me about their experiences.


The girls made a fairy garden with one of the little girls they met there. Again, I tried to create a realistic depiction. It was difficult because of all the detail and light and shadow in the photo I was using. But I kept playing with it and actually I enjoy the result. It is called “Nature did most of the
work” since that is how AJ described the process.




In the previous picture, I particularly liked how I drew the evergreen branches. So I did a piece just using that technique.


One morning AJ and Dani wanted to dance to “Frozen” music. This is my interpretation. Each wave represents a daughter and how I see them at this time.


What I learned:
  • I enjoy visual journaling 
  • I’m more likely to do art when there is no wifi
  • It works to start drawing as soon as I have an idea (do not overthink)
  • I’m inspired by life but I like to represent abstractly
  • I like playing with textures and patterns
When done, I will link to an entry with some of my other art inspired more by ideas.

2 comments:

  1. This is so cool! I love the play with different styles, and how you weave visuals with words. Love it! A great activity for what we call "Luddite Night," when we do things that don't require wifi, phones, tv, nada. Just music, and candles/oil lamps, and reading or art stuff. This is so lovely, thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Also Luddite night sounds great! Although I like electricity, myself. It can be a lot of fun (sometimes stressful too, haha) to simplify life down to the basics and see what we find to do with ourselves.

      Delete