Sunday 2 January 2022

Painting in the New Year

Last year each person in our family made a painting that represented (perhaps) one’s state of mind or mood going into the new year, or maybe just in that moment: see here

We enjoyed it so much we decided to try to make it a tradition and do that same thing New Year’s Eve/Day.

Behold then, the Turtles’ artistic responses to 2021.



AJ: Magical Dreams of the Butterflies



Dani: Polka Dot Shape



Mr Turtle: You Hung It The Wrong Way



Turtle: Still Life With Crumbs of Joy

Mine was way harder than I thought it would be: I had this plan in my head that seemed simple, but that I soon realized had waaaaay too much detail when I actually started. There were so many objects and it was so difficult to figure out what should be painted in what order. 

However, I still enjoyed getting into the process and engaging with the creation in front of me on its own terms. Part of the reason I like doing something hands on like this is it reminds me that reality is not in fact all in my mind. I might have a thought, but I’m not only interacting with my own thoughts, I’m interacting with creation itself, and the painting inevitably takes on its own character apart from what I had imagined. I have to adjust my approach and vision as I work through it. It’s much the same as raising kids, actually….

AJ did the final step for me: the crumbs under the table. I love those big joyous crumbs. They are going to remind me to seize happiness where I find it this year. 

Onward to a 2022 as happy and hopeful as we can make it!

2 comments:

  1. Happy new year! Holy crow, you are good! And then big bubbly crumbs of joy are delightful. And Mr Turtle's title cracked me up! What a lovely tradition!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Painting is very meditative. With the kids involved (as of course they will be) it’s also messy and a operation, so we don’t do it as often as we could, but it’s something I enjoy, just therapeutically (though I like the results too.)

      Delete