Thursday 24 July 2014

A post about good food

So, I meant to share a few of my favourite recipes during ICLW. Then this came up in the news and ruined my appetite. However, I still need to eat, and so does everybody else! I am not particularly domestic and often not very well organized around mealtimes, but these are two examples of recipes that have really worked well for me.

Here is the Metric Converter if you like precise measurements but don't have the greatest sense of weight and volume.

Brown Rice and Lentils
This is from my Betty Crocker cookbook (the only one I regularly use) under Vegetarian, but I think it's good for everyone and makes a nice hearty side dish or lunch food. Lentils are high in iron. It is very simple but surprisingly tasty and anytime I've shared it people ask for the recipe.

2 tablespoons butter or margarine
1 small onion, chopped (1/4 cup)
1 clove garlic, chopped
1/2 cup dried lentils (4 oz) sorted and rinsed
1/2 cup brown rice
1 can (14 oz) vegetable or chicken broth
1/4 cup water
1/4 teaspoon red pepper sauce
1 medium green bell pepper, coarsely chopped (1 cup)
1/2 cup shredded mozzarella cheese (2 oz)

1. In 2 quart saucepan, melt butter over medium heat. Cook onion and garlic in butter about 3 minutes, stirring occasionally, until onion is tender

2. Stir in lentils, rice, broth water and pepper sauce. Heat to boiling; reduce hat. Cover and simmer about 50 minutes, adding water if necessary, until rice is tender and liquid is absorbed.

3. Stir in bell pepper. Sprinkle with cheese.

Bran Muffins
I've eaten lots of fibre over this pregnancy, and am lucky in that I've had few poopy problems. These muffins should help keep the pipes clear, but they are also delicious! The original recipe is from my MIL and makes 6 dozen, but I halved the recipe to make about 2 dozen.

Mix  these well

1/4 pound butter, melted
1/2 cup canola oil
3 eggs
1 cup raisins or fruit of your choice
2 cups sugar, 1 white 1 brown
3 cups buttermilk
1/2 box Quaker Oat bran, in the green box


Mix in another bowl
1/2 teaspoon salt
2  1/2 teaspoons baking powder
4cups flour

Add wet mixture to dry, stir only until mixed,

then add 1 and 3/4 tablespoons Baking soda, dissolved in 1/4 cup boiling water, it will fizz up so use a 1 cup measure to mix it in

Stir only until mixed

Keep in the fridge 24 hours before baking (you don't have to); batter will keep 2 weeks in the fridge

Bake at 375 for 20 min.

Makes 2-3 dozen

Bake one dozen at a time so they were always fresh and yummy.

***

2 yummy recipes, enjoy if you try! And they are both fast so lots of time left for blogging! tee hee.

6 comments:

  1. I want to try that rice dish! Thanks for posting the recipe :) It sounds delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mmmmmm!!!!! Definitely going to try both of these!

    ReplyDelete
  3. These sound delicious! Betty Crocker is my go to cookbook.

    ReplyDelete