Monday 27 July 2015

Pumpkin Oatmeal Muffins



I'm a bit preoccupied and doing things mainly for distraction. Hopefully I can update in a few days with a clear mind.

In the meantime here's something I am hoping to make today: Pumpkin Oatmeal Muffins. I'm not particularly domestic and don't usually spend a lot of time researching new recipes, making Pinterest boards, etc. But a couple of months ago I started making these muffins for Mr. Turtle to freeze for breakfast at work. And they are so yummy! I think they are fairly healthy too. Muffins are hit or miss for me but these are always fluffy, moist and full of flavour. I make double batches and help Mr. Turtle eat them. AJ also likes to have bites too.

Here's the recipehttp://cookieandkate.com/2014/healthy-maple-pumpkin-muffins/
:

My hacks:

  • I haven't been able to find plain pumpkin puree so I use a can of pumpkin pie filling. Not as healthy I'm sure but it works. I skip the salt,spices and vanilla extract, but I do add the honey or maple syrup.
  • I toss in a couple of tablespoons of flaxseed meal. Can't taste it but it makes it a bit healthier.


13 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. they are! and easy too. Which means I should get on them. Except I keep expecting AJ to poop or crawl at any moment....

      Delete
  2. Yum. I love making muffins for breakfast, too. It's so easy to grab and go vs. trying to make a full meal in the morning.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. yes. I also make and freeze a variety of other breakfasts for Mr. Turtle too - he really likes it. (Always having breakfast in the freezer was his birthday present lol).

      Delete
  3. We have some perfectly over-ripe bananas I had intended to make into muffins too but haven't yet... Wouldn't it be fun if we all made muffins and then did an exchange so we would have all different flavors for the week?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. that would be awesome! haha feel free to share any good recipes you have, anyway. We like the pumpkin muffins but might want to branch out at some point. Banana is also good because things usually turn out moist, which is the critical part IMO (but ideally without being dense)

      Delete
  4. I've never quite got the whole North American pumpkin-as-sweet thing, but might try this recipe. I am loving the comments here too! I think breakfast in the freezer for a birthday present is a great idea, and I also have some over-ripe bananas, and banana muffins is now on the menu!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like it when good ideas go viral! hahahaha. Mr. Turtle is definitely appreciating his birthday present.

      Delete
  5. nom nom!!! I love using flaxseed in recipes too! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh, yum--these look AMAZING! I bet I could make them GF with cup4cup flour blend. I have been seeing flaxseed in everything lately... I like it so much more than chia seeds. I may just have to give this a try!

    ReplyDelete
  7. they are! they get eaten way too fast hahahaha!

    ReplyDelete