Thursday 26 March 2015

Sisterhood of the World

Adi and Lauren nominated me for Sisterhood of the World, so several weeks later, I'm giving 'er a shot.

 


The Rules:

  1. Link to the person who nominated you.
  2. Add the award logo.
  3. Answer the questions your nominator asked.
  4. Nominate 7 other blogs.
  5. Ask your nominees 10 questions.

I couldn't decide which set of questions so I'll just answer them all.

Adi's questions:
  1. What’s one thing you love about yourself?  I love that I'm almost never bored. Even when I am not necessarily enjoying life, I find it interesting. If nothing else I just like to think. Any experience I have, I think about how I'd write about  it to make it interesting and then it is interesting to me.
  2. What makes you and your partner suited to one another? I think right from the start we both appreciated what the other was bringing to the relationship. We still look at each other and think "I won the lottery with you."
  3. What’s a perfect day you’ve had? Yesterday was pretty awesome. I took AJ to my parents and they just enjoyed her so much.  It was just great to have 3 generations together like that.
  4. What’s “your spot” in your home? my glider in AJ's room. If she doesn't need me or is napping, or I have no chores to do (or am avoiding them) I'll sit here with the computer and write or read things (like right now). Also the couch in the living room; I eat breakfast there and enjoy my cup of instant coffee and read a book or magazine. Sometimes with AJ, sometimes without. When Mr. Turtle gets home we usually move into the basement.
  5. What would you love to do this weekend? Go for a walk as a family if it's nice weather.
  6. Tell me a story of you as a kid. Any age! We spent summers as a family in a rural area out west and it had a huge impact on who I am, even though I grew up as a city girl and self-identify as one. One of my favourite memories is swimming in the river with my older brother. We would get in the river below our cabin, swim about half a kilometer, get out, buy popsicles at the gas station, eat them while walking back in the hot sun, and then get back in the river and repeat. We did that over and over again one afternoon!
  7. What’s on your nightstand? AJ's turtle lamp, Vaseline (for my lips), alarm clock, flourescent reading lamp that I haven't used since giving birth.
  8. Name something off your “bucket list” or just something you hope to someday do.  Visit Ireland. I know I would just love it but with all the other life stuff I've been attending to, the trip has never made it to the top of the priority list.
  9. What’s your favorite outfit? (Bonus for pics, wedding dress counts!) Lately, jeans and a t-shirt or a long sleeve button down (Western style), and a cardigan if it is colder. My style is pretty basic these days although I'm trying to be a little more adventurous as the weather warms up (i.e. a skirt or a dress occasionally). I didn't make a big deal out of my wedding dress, but I liked that it was short and didn't cost much. My overall look was memorable though. Here I am getting ready to walk down the aisle with my air cast and crutches (fell down the stairs and brook a metatarsal 2 weeks before the wedding. lol.) I used one crutch and hopped with bouquet in other hand.
  10. Say something nice about a fellow blogger! It has been a privilege to follow Adi and Lauren's journeys and now to be new moms "together".  They are both so open about the emotions and challenges of this journey.  I have learned so much from their blogs and continue to.

Now, Lauren's questions:

  1. What is something you are really good at? I'm a good organizer. When I'm stuck in one spot (e.g. nursing) I'll look around and think about whether things could be better organized. I'm always picking up baskets and other containers and sorting and shuffling.
  2. What do you wish you were better at? Seeing friends regularly. I often procrastinate making that phone call or plans to meet up and then weeks or months go by. It's embarrassing even though I have some great long term friendships and they are very forgiving and understanding.
  3. What has your loss / infertility journey taught you about life? Life really, really isn't fair. But reaching out to each other with empathy and compassion makes it a little better. Also, infertility and loss, or any major life crisis, is a great equalizer. I follow people with some very different beliefs and worldviews from each other and yet there is common ground in all of them.  I wouldn't wish infertility or any other hardship on anyone but it can be a catalyst for people to drop the superficial and focus on what connects us as humans and women.
  4. Paper diary or digital calendar? Right now neither - I'm writing appointments etc. on a whiteboard. I totally forgot to buy wall calendars this year. I had a paper agenda but I lost it.
  5. Where did you meet your other half? Online - e-Harmony
  6. What are you wearing right now? Red t-shirt and jeans and a real bra. Glass earrings and necklace. Which is pretty dressed up for me considering it's a day at home, but I have visitors coming - yay!.
  7. When did you discover you could write? I started writing rhymes at about age four.
  8. What is your favourite time of day, and why? I really like all times of the day, as long as I'm enjoying the day overall.
  9. What piece of wisdom would you give your ten-year-old self? It's OK to try new things; you don't always have to be in your comfort zone.
  10. What’s the farthest from home you’ve travelled? I lived in Athens, Greece for 8 months when I was 26.
Nominate 7 blogs. Here goes if you feel up for it. Questions-I can't think of any better than the above ones; also I have this weird anxiety that I'll ask something offensive by mistake. So, you can pick any 10 or more of the above.


  1. It only takes one
  2. Tiggy's Den
  3. When Why How Baby
  4. Our Magic Moment
  5. Infertile Girl in a Fertile World
  6. Mine to Command
  7. You, if you want to and aren't one of the above named.

2 comments:

  1. So nice to learn more about you. I met Bob on eHarmony. :) You still looked wonderful on your wedding day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks Isabelle! yay, another eHarmony couple. If you want to answer some of the questions, it would be fun to learn more about you too. Thanks for reading <3

      Delete