Saturday 21 December 2013

December thoughts

So, this will probably be my last entry of 2013.

I wish everyone the best for the rest of the year and for the new year, bearing in mind that "the holiday season" is a difficult time for many people.

I have been easily irritated by the Christmas schmaltz this year and find myself unable to identify with most of it. But, I remind myself that it's not the cliches that matter, but the caring words and gestures. I hope everyone can find a personally meaningful way to mark the passing of the year. I hope you can acknowledge and honour the experiences and lessons of this past year, whatever they were.

I am deeply grateful to everyone who reads the blog and to those who leave comments, and I'm grateful to all the bloggers I read, for telling your stories with such courage, honesty and even humour.

I'm very grateful for my "rest cycle." I'm SO HAPPY to not have to try to conceive this month. It's perfect timing, I tell ya. Although I was so clueless yesterday evening that I accidentally threw my birth control pills in the recycling bin. At least it wasn't the garbage (which happened to be particularly stinky and slimy that day.) More wine, please.  I'm grateful that we will get to try IVF next month, and I'm trying to live by Ariel's advice to have zero expectations.

This is the shortest day of the year. Now, we are on the upswing - a little more light with every day.

Merry Christmas, and to all a good night.

20 comments:

  1. so glad you are on a rest!!!!!! Hope you have a very Merry Christmas

    ReplyDelete
  2. Rest cycles can be very restorative sometimes. I hope you have a good holiday and I'm very thankful for your blog. I'm also thankful for the reminder that the days start to get longer form here on out!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. Yes, it's ok to let go of the pressures to achieve and conceive. At least for a little while. :-) Longer days will be nice....I like the snow and sparkle of winter, and even the cold doesn't scare me much....but the darkness can be dreary.

      Delete
  3. That second to last line is beautifully put. More light with each day :)

    Last Christmas we took a break cycle, and I was so glad we did; I could do all the festive over-indulgence stuff (which I particularly needed at the time) and not worry about what it was doing to my potential embryo. Enjoy and make the most of this 'down' time.

    I'm so excited for you that your IVF creeps ever closer! Happy New Year indeed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Yes, Christmas is a great time for a break cycle. As well as over-indulging, I don't have to have the disappointment of "Not pregnant AGAIN, despite best efforts" around Christmas day/my birthday. Enjoy your holiday times too. :-)

      Delete
  4. Break cycles are definitely needed. Hope yours is relaxing!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I hope everyone gets some peace and relaxation this time of year.

      Delete
  5. Merry Christmas and Happy New Year! Since my IVF was moved back some we may be doing our first around the same time as you guys! Wishing you the best!! xo

    ReplyDelete
  6. I hope the best for both of us going into IVF. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I wish you a very very restful and peaceful rest of December. Zero expectation is the way to go. Two things I try to remember during an IVF cycle are 1) anything can happen and 2) to take things one day at a time. Enjoy the wine! :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you binkymoongee. We should put "anything can happen/take things one day at a time" into a little song or jingle so that it's easy to remember and repeat when needed! I wish rest and peace for you too!

      Delete
  8. Happy Holidays and keep these posts coming in!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Happy new year, tortuil. Yes, there's a little more light every day. I'm wishing us all the best in the upcoming year. But in the meantime, enjoy your rest cycle, and may you find peace and joy as the year winds to a close.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. I did find that peace and joy. Took a little time!

      Delete
  10. I keep hoping that next Christmas, we all have a reason to be a lot more festive. Nothing like a brand new baby to give Christmas new meaning.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Isn't that the truth. I wish the same thing for everyone!

      Delete
  11. I'm excited for your upcoming IVF! It's almost here! I love your observation about the shortest day of the year being over, and each new day bringing a little more light. You have such a gift for coming up with beautiful metaphors. Wishing great things for you with lots of light in 2014.

    ReplyDelete